Restoring the Balance
Major weaknesses of OVH's professional production packages (the unique French reference in terms of web hosting solutions):
- Bridled supply of ascending broadband capacities (there should be one single as complete as scalable a package, instead of up to four ill-conceived ones);
- The packaging of web hosting packages puts the emphasis on the technological infrastructures, instead of promoting practical (show)case studies;
- As a consequence, the overall user experience (reference manuals included) is dominated by technical considerations, which undermine the more quality-oriented possibilities.
Major weaknesses of existing ISP packages supposed to be best suited for personal consumption:
- The packaging of such web products and services is technocentric, rather than adapted to specific uses arising from well assessed needs;
- Due to the market domination of mobile devices, hoarding data is more encouraged than securing transmission;
- As a consequence, the cloud-based storage capacities supplied by default are plethoric, in consideration of the still prevailing lack of guarantees.
An user experience conditioned by the applicant's initial declaration of intended use, which, by enabling less intrusive surveillance, would provide for a progressive change of habits away from the current practices of "blind-testing-around" rooted in a catalogue of technical specifications.
By default, an "IPv6+Ultra®" address providing a registration number which would be both anonymous and retraceable to the user (whose identity must remain authenticatable), i.e. constituted of a variable part (enabling safe navigation protected from speculative practices), and a static part for all subscription services which require it.
Broadband and storage capacities which adapt to the user's consumption (i.e. to the progressive evolution of his·her needs), both downwards and upwards.
A customer service dedicated both to technical support and reciprocal feedback, enhanced with a forum providing a richer and user-friendlier environment for the quality-oriented sharing of experiences.
A comprehensive webmail solution (both online- and app-based), upgradeable to group-level discussion boards (my benchmark of reference - for demo purposes - remains "Yahoo! Mail" and "Yahoo! Groups").
A "personal pages" option made of two complementary modules: one reserved for the internal referencing of the user's individual webmail profile, and another provided for the internal and/or external referencing of the user's group profile.
The compulsory and optional profile referencing settings arising from all this: the ones which are internal to the ISP, and the others, external, providing for registration with one or more search engines such as Qwant.